Schools can be a powerful force in driving change towards sustainability within communities.
CCGS aims to reduce our ecological footprint through the adoption of sustainable practices in our everyday lives. We aim to lead the community by developing strategies to manage waste and water, monitor energy usage and promote biodiversity.
We have a strategic commitment as outlined in the Striving for Excellence strategic plan 2021-25 to maximise energy efficiency and environmental sustainability.
- LED lights installed campus wide.
- Only compostable food containers, utensils and other sustainable packaging options provided by the school canteen.
- Student-led Environmental Action Group and involvement in Take 3 and Clean Up Australia Day.
- Steady reduction in waste sent to landfill through increased recycling and initiatives such as Waste Free Wednesday.
- Solar panels installed on the Junior School, Library, RLC and Performing Arts Centre roofs; 100 percent of the School's power requirements come from renewable sources with 33 percent now generated onsite. The remainder is from renewable sources on the grid.
- Reduction in water usage through the collection of water on site.
- Smart metering to monitor water usage and overnight watering.
- Extensive planting, in particular of native species, to support biodiversity.
- Steady reduction of onsite printing.
- Purposeful environmental design of the Junior School to take advantage of natural ventilation and lighting to reduce energy usage.
- UPPAREL school uniform collection and a general clothing bank.
- Establish separate waste collection and composting options.
- Review procurement process to move towards purchasing more sustainable products and services.
- Complete an environment and sustainability scope and sequence across K to 12.
We know there is more to do, but we're making some great progress.